Based in Vienna, Austria
April 4, 2019
MarZ mixes RTS and Tower Defense elements with the goal of protecting your base from undead hordes, while also uncovering the hidden history of the Red Planet. A game of strategy and tactical defense, careful management of your crew and resources is crucial as you try to uncover the terrible secrets of the undead.
In Early Access since September 2017, MarZ: Tactical Base Defense features a story-driven campaign along with a range of skirmish modes, unique Twitch setting (lets viewers help or sabotage the streamer) and a map editor with terraforming level creator and sharing tool.
HistoryDEVELOPMENT and GAMEPLAY
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense is the debut game of doorfortyfour and has been in development since December 2014. Set on a near future Mars, the first human colony planned on the red planet comes across fearsome creatures and mysterious structures.
The player's mission is to ensure humanity’s future on the planet by freeing zone by zone from the hordes of the undead. Reconquering the infested areas requires a strategically built base to fend off the real-time approaching enemy hordes. To start building and upgrading towers the player places energy hubs that generate a power grid and mine resources to produce building material.
Another important ’resource’ is the crew, because all buildings have to be manned to work. Careful crew management, requesting new recruits from the space station and ensuring there are always enough people in play to keep buildings operational and defense intact is crucial to survive. Additionally, with the construction of different research buildings players can research new tower types, produce super weapons and unlock tower specializations to improve the defence.
MarZ combines the Tower Defense and Real Time Strategy genres, within a tactical base defense game. The result is rapid mission-based gameplay that features recourse gathering, time and crew management, plus research, base building and tower upgrade construction.
Since launching into Steam Early Access 26th September 2017, MarZ (formerly MarZ Rising) has seen a number of game changing updates, adding new game modes, a full 20 mission story campaign, Twitch integration, huge balancing changes and so much more, ahead of the full launch in 2019.
Since December 2018, a free demo of the first three missions has been available on Steam.
MarZ contains a single player story campaign localised in nine languages, including intro and outro. The campaign has two alternative endings, while the second and real ending is unlocked after collecting all monoliths (story elements) during the 20 mission campaign. As a goal, each mission has three main tasks. If the player completes the mission to 100% he unlocks a perk as reward, which can be used to modify the next levels.
Furthermore, MarZ has a global achievement system to gather even more rewards. The collectors progress is shown in a player profile.
Players can also get creative and shape their own levels in Marsform, the ingame map editor, and share their creations via Steam Workshop. In Skirmish mode, created Marsform maps and all campaign maps can be played with new user or random generated waves.
Lastly, the new Skirmish mode includes the Outbreak setting, which brings an immense zombie horde instead of the usual waves.
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense is about securing the right front with the right tactics.
19/04/04 Sci-fi RTS MarZ: Tactical Base Defense launches today
19/03/07 Sci-fi RTS MarZ: Tactical Base Defense gets release date / review codes available
18/12/07 Tactical base defense game MarZ Rising gets free demo, available now on Steam
18/11/07 Tactical base defense game Marz Rising gets huge free Skirmish Mode update
18/07/18 Gamescom appointment: Interested in hands-on time with MarZ Rising?
17/09/26 MarZ Rising launches today on Steam
17/09/19 MarZ Rising: Press Copy + Game Release Date
17/08/16 New Indie Game: MarZ Rising
- New and challenging mix of gameplay mechanics (TD/RTS).
- 20 mission single player campaign with 2 alternative endings.
- Three difficulty levels and perk system.
- Player profile and achievement system.
- Skirmish mode to set up procedurally generated levels.
- Outbreak mode for Skirmish.
- Twitch integration in Skirmish.
- Marsform: terraforming level generator.
- Steam Workshop integration to share own Marsform maps.
- Impressive graphics and unique Mars landscapes.
- Localization: English, English (US), German, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Polish.
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense - Out Now (Apr2019) YouTube
Marsform - map editor (Apr2019) YouTube
Release Date Announcement (Mar2019) YouTube
Skirmish Update (Nov2018) YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "MarZ Rising – A la conquête de Mars"
- Preview, December 2018, Game Guide
- "Taktische Tower Defense mit Crew-Management gegen Mars-Zombies"
- News, July 2018, 4Players
- "Mars Rising"
- In Depth, July 2018, Kotaku
- "You’ve heard of moon Nazis? Now hear about Mars Soviets"
- Preview, November 2017, Hooked Gamers
- "Roter, untoter Planet"
- Preview, October 2017, Radio Fm4
- "MarZ Rising – Preview"
- Preview, October 2017, 3rd Strike
- "MarZ Rising – PC (P)Review"
- Preview, September 2017, The Drastik Measure
- "Wiener Zombies starten Early Access"
- Preview, September 2017, Games24 (OE24)
- "MarZ Rising, Survival-RTS enters Early Access on September 26th"
- News, September 2017, One Angry Gamer
- "Gamescom 2017: Tower Defense done different"
- Preview, August 2017, Hooked Gamers
Founded in 2013 by married couple Miriam and Marc Egli, doorfortyfour is a small indie studio based in Vienna, Austria. Marc is a Senior 3D Artist and has previously worked on the likes of The Crew, Forza Horizon and Crackdown, while Miriam was previously an architect. The studio’s main focus is creating strategy and management games characterized by high-end graphics and creative design.
More information on doorfortyfour, our logo & relevant media are available here.
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense Credits
Marc Egli - doorfortyfour
Development Lead, Programmer, 3D Artist
Miriam Egli - doorfortyfour
Creative Lead, Game Designer, UI/UX Designer, 2D Artist, PR+Marketing
Alex Chinchen - Future Friends Games