Based in Vienna, Austria
April 4, 2019
Build your defense base to fight back the undead hordes of Mars and secure the future of the red planet. MarZ is a game of strategy and tactical defense where you must carefully manage your crew and resources as you try to uncover the terrible secrets of the undead.
HistoryDEVELOPMENT and GAMEPLAY
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense is the debut game of doorfortyfour and under development since December 2014. The early vision of the developers was to combine the benefits of the two genres TD and RTS in a tactical base defense game. The result is a fast, mission-based gameplay that combines recourse gathering, time & crew management with research, base building and tower upgrade construction.
The story is set to take place on the red planet in the near future. During the preparations of the first human colony, the specialists came across fearsome creatures and mysterious structures. It is the player's mission to ensure the future on the planet and free zone by zone from the hordes of the undead. Reconquering the infested areas requires a strategically built base to fend off the real-time approaching enemy hordes.
To start building and upgrading towers the player must place energy hubs to generate a power grid and mine resources to produce building material. Another very important ’resource’ is the crew, because all buildings have to be manned to work. To stock up his team the player can request new crew members from the space station. If there is not enough crew available the team has to be sent back and forth between the fronts to secure the base. With the construction of different research buildings players can research new tower types, produce super weapons and unlock tower specializations to improve the defence.
It's always about securing the right front with the right tactics.
Since launching into Steam Early Access 26th September 2017, MarZ (formerly MarZ Rising) has seen a number of game changing updates, adding new game modes, a full 20 mission story campaign, Twitch integration, huge balancing changes and so much more, ahead of the full launch in 2019. Since December 2018, a free demo of the first three missions is available on Steam.GAME CONTENT
MarZ contains a single player story campaign localised in 9 languages, including intro + outro. The campaign has two alternative endings, while the second and real ending is unlocked after collecting all monoliths (story elements) during the 20 mission campaign. As goal each mission has 3 main tasks. If the player completes the mission to 100% he unlocks a perk as reward, which can be used to modify the next levels. Additionally MarZ has a global achievement system to gather even more rewards. The collectors progress is shown in a player profile.
After finishing the campaign MarZ isn’t over. Players can get creative and shape their own levels in Marsform, the ingame map editor, and share them via Steam Workshop. In Skirmish mode, created Marsform maps and all campaign maps can be played with new user or random generated waves. On top Skirmish also includes a second game mode called Outbreak, that brings an immense zombie horde instead of waves.
19/03/07 Sci-fi RTS MarZ: Tactical Base Defense gets release date / review codes available
18/12/07 Tactical base defense game MarZ Rising gets free demo, available now on Steam
18/11/07 Tactical base defense game Marz Rising gets huge free Skirmish Mode update
18/07/18 Gamescom appointment: Interested in hands-on time with MarZ Rising?
17/09/26 MarZ Rising launches today on Steam
17/09/19 MarZ Rising: Press Copy + Game Release Date
17/08/16 New Indie Game: MarZ Rising
- New and challenging mix of gameplay mechanics (TD/RTS)
- Thrilling 20 mission single player campaign with 2 alternative ends
- Three difficulty levels + perk system
- Player profile + achievement system
- Skirmish mode to set up procedural generated levels
- Outbreak mode for Skirmish
- Twitch integration in Skirmish
- Marsform: terraforming level generator
- Steam Workshop intergration to share own Marsform maps
- Impressive graphics and unique Mars landscapes
- Localization: English, English (US), German, French, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Russian and Polish
- Genre: Base Defense, Sci Fi
- Platform: PC
Release Date Announcement (Mar2019) YouTube
Skirmish Update (Nov2018) YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "MarZ Rising – A la conquête de Mars"
- Preview, December 2018, Game Guide
- "MarZ Rising Test (PC): Early Access-Strategie am Mars"
- Preview, September 2018, Beyond Pixels
- "Taktische Tower Defense mit Crew-Management gegen Mars-Zombies"
- News, July 2018, 4Players
- "Mars Rising"
- In Depth, July 2018, Kotaku
- "You’ve heard of moon Nazis? Now hear about Mars Soviets"
- Preview, November 2017, Hooked Gamers
- "Roter, untoter Planet"
- Preview, October 2017, Radio Fm4
- "MarZ Rising – Preview"
- Preview, October 2017, 3rd Strike
- "Let’s Review…Marz Rising"
- Preview, September 2017, Early Access Gaming
- "MarZ Rising – PC (P)Review"
- Preview, September 2017, The Drastik Measure
- "Wiener Zombies starten Early Access"
- Preview, September 2017, Games24 (OE24)
- "MarZ Rising, Survival-RTS enters Early Access on September 26th"
- News, September 2017, One Angry Gamer
- "Gamescom 2017 Roundup, Part One"
- News, September 2017, Indie Games
- "Gamescom 2017: Tower Defense done different"
- Preview, August 2017, Hooked Gamers
- "MarZ Rising enters Early Access this Fall"
- News, August 2017, One Angry Gamer
- "MarZ Rising: Die Mars Zombies aus Wien"
- Interview, August 2017, Games24 (OE24)
- "MarZ Rising [Angespielt]"
- Preview, August 2016, VGphile
Update news on steamcommunity.com.
Update news on doorfortyfour.com.
Update news on indiedb.com.
MarZ on twitter.com.
MarZ on facebook.com.
MarZ on instagram.com.
MarZ on discord.gg.
MarZ Trailers on youtube.com.
doorfortyfour is a viennese indie game studio which aims to create high quality PC Games. The focus of the development are strategy- and management games, which are characterized by unique graphics and creative game design. After years of practice in the AAA games industry, doorfortyfour strives for a highly productive development as a small but experienced team, realizing III games that are polished to the last detail.
More information on doorfortyfour, our logo & relevant media are available here.
MarZ: Tactical Base Defense Credits
Marc Egli - doorfortyfour
Development Lead, Programmer, 3D Artist
Miriam Egli - doorfortyfour
Creative Lead, Game Designer, UI/UX Designer, 2D Artist, PR+Marketing
Alex Chinchen - Future Friends Games